ISO 24802.2, CMAS 1 Star Instructor, RSTC Recreational Scuba Instructor
Aim of the training programme
This training programme aims at introducing experienced PTRD Dive Leaders to the basiconcepts, principles and instructional techniques for diver education and training, which will enable them to present certain prescribed PTRD Diver Training Programmes in a safe and competent manner.
Competencies of a certified PTRD Star Scuba Instructor
A PTRD 1 Star Scuba Instructor shall be trained such that, when assessed by a PTRD 3 Star Instructor Trainer, he shall be deemed to have a professional level of knowledge of diving theory, a professional level of knowledge of theoretical, confined and open water teaching and supervising skills, solid rescue skills, dive management and supervision abilities,
exemplary diving skills and sufficient diving experience:
-To teach, assess and certify participants on:
- all PTRD Snorkel Diver Training Programmes,
- PTRD Intro SCUBA Diving Training Programme
- PTRD Supervised Diver Training Program
- PTRD 1 Star Diver Training Programme
- PTRD 1 Star Nitrox Diver
in accordance with the prescribed PTRD Diver Training Standards on their theoretical knowledge, confined and open water skills;
-To teach, access and certify participants on their theoretical knowledge, confined and open water skills and other practical skills on all the PTRD Speciality Diver Training Programmes for which he himself has successfully completed the appropriate PTRD Speciality Diver Training Programmes and/or Speciality Instructor Training Programmes which are allowed to be presented by a PTRD 1 Star Scuba Instructor in terms of the relevant PTRD Diver Training Standards.
-To act as an Instructional Assistant to a PTRD 2 Star Master Instructor on all the PTRD Diver Training Programmes that a PTRD 2 Star Master Instructor is authorised to present in terms of the relevant PTRD Diver Training Standards.
The parameters within which the PTRD 1 Star Scuba Instructor is qualified to dive are those applicable to the other diver training certifications he already holds.
Prerequisites for participation in the training programme
In order to gain access to the PTRD 1 Star Scuba Instructor Training Programme, the participant shall:
-Be at least eighteen (18) years of age; there is no upper limit;
-Hold the following PTRD Diver Training or equivalent certifications:
-PTRD 3 Star Diver Training Programme or equivalent;
– PTRD BLS and CPR certification or any other equivalent first aid and CPR certification (i.e. the term of validity of the certificate must be valid on the date of certification as a PTRD 3 Star Diver);
– PTRD Oxygen Administration Training Programme or equivalent (where not prohibited by legislation); and
– PTRD Rescue Diver Training Programme or equivalent
– Submit proof of at least one hundred (100) logged open water dives that shall include night dives, limited visibility dives, deeper dives (between thirty (30) to forty (40) meters), drift dives, dives in colder water and navigation dives;
– Effectively demonstrate his basic watermanship ability by performing, to a PTRD 3 Star Instructor Trainer, the prescribed physical conditioning and watermanship evaluation of the PTRD Divinf School;
– Shall undergo a diving medical examination by a registered medical practitioner and cleared as suitable for participation in the sport of recreational SCUBA diving in accordance with procedures laid down by the PTRD Country Partner prior to participating in any in-water activities; and
– Sign the appropriate form(s) as required by the PTRD Diving School acknowledging and assuming the risks of SCUBA diving prior to participating in any in-water activities.