Aim of the training programme
This training programme aims at introducing experienced PTRD Advanced Professional Diver to the basic concepts, principles and instructional techniques for diver education and training, which will enable them to present certain prescribed PTRD Diver Training Programmes in a safe and competent manner.
Competencies of a certified PTRD Professional Instructor
A PTRD Professional Instructor shall be trained such that, when assessed by a PTRD Professional Instructor Trainer, he shall be deemed to have a professional level of knowledge of diving theory, a professional level of knowledge of theoretical, confined and open water teaching and supervising skills, solid rescue skills, dive management and supervision abilities,
exemplary diving skills and sufficient diving experience:
-To teach, assess and certify participants on PTRD Entry and Advanced Diver Training Programmes in accordance with the prescribed PTRD Diver Training Standards on their theoretical knowledge, confined and open water skills;
-To teach, access and certify participants on their theoretical knowledge, confined and open water skills and other practical skills on all the PTRD Professional Speciality Diver Training Programmes for which he himself has successfully completed the appropriate PTRD Professional Speciality Diver Training Programmes and/or Professional Speciality Instructor Training Programmes which are allowed to be presented by a PTRD Professional Instructor in terms of the relevant PTRD Diver Training Standards.
-To act as an Instructional Assistant to a PTRD Professional Instructor Trainer on all the PTRD Diver Training Programmes that a PTRD Professional Instructor Trainer is authorised to present in terms of the relevant PTRD Diver Training Standards.
The parameters within which the PTRD Professional Instructor is qualified to dive are those applicable to the other diver training certifications he already holds.
Prerequisites for participation in the training programme
In order to gain access to the PTRD Professional Instructor Training Programme, the participant shall:
-Be at least eighteen (20) years of age; there is no upper limit;
-Hold the following PTRD Diver Training or equivalent certifications:
-PTRD Advanced Professional speciality Diver Training Programme or equivalent;
– PTRD BLS and CPR certification or any other equivalent first aid and CPR certification;
– PTRD Oxygen Administration Training Programme or equivalent (where not prohibited by legislation); and
– PTRD Professional Rescue Diver Training Programme or equivalent
– Submit proof of at least one hundred (150) logged open water dives that shall include night dives, limited visibility dives, deeper dives (between thirty (30) to forty (40) meters), drift dives, dives in colder water and navigation dives;
– Effectively demonstrate his basic watermanship ability by performing, to a PTRD Professional Instructor Trainer, the prescribed physical conditioning and watermanship evaluation of the PTRD Diving School;
– Shall undergo a diving medical examination by a registered medical practitioner and cleared as suitable for participation in the sport of recreational SCUBA diving in accordance with procedures laid down by the PTRD Country Partner prior to participating in any in-water activities; and
– Sign the appropriate form(s) as required by the PTRD Diving School acknowledging and assuming the risks of SCUBA diving prior to participating in any in-water activities.