|The DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries Course is a Training Program for those individuals who have successfully completed the DAN Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries course.
It is designed to train DAN Oxygen Providers to use a positive pressure valve (as the MTV100) and/or a bag-valve-mask (BVM); depending on local legal laws and regulations.
The DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries (“DAN Advanced Oxygen Provider”) programme is designed to teach the skills and knowledge needed to supplement Basic Life Support (BLS) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills with resuscitation techniques to assist any diver who is not breathing. The course is divided into two parts: The use of the Manual Triggered Ventilator (MTV, also known as Resuscitation valve) and the use of the Bag Valve Mask (BVM). According to local laws and regulations, providers will be trained in the use of the MTV only or in the use of both MTV and BVM.
At the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- List the instructions for providing oxygen to non-breathing injured scuba divers.
- State the ideal concentrations of oxygen and the factors that can influence them.
- Inspect the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- Outline the circumstances for using the MTV and/or the Bag Valve Mask.
- List the directions for ventilations with the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- List the potential problems associated with the use of the MTV and /or Bag Valve Mask.
- List the considerations for effective ventilations with the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- Describe the characteristics of an effective ventilation using the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- Explain the steps to follow for cleaning, disinfecting and maintenance of the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- Perform a scene safety assessment.
- List the steps in performing a scene safety assessment.
- Assess the Airway, Breathing and Circulation (ABCs) of an injured diver.
- Demonstrate a caring attitude towards a diver who becomes ill or injured.
- Establish and maintain the Airway and Breathing (perform Rescue Breathing) for an injured diver.
- Disassemble and reassemble the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask.
- Demonstrate the correct technique for testing the MTV and/or the Bag Valve Mask prior to using it.
- Use the MTV and/or Bag Valve Mask to resuscitate non-breathing divers (during training this will be done on a mannequin).
- Use the MTV to provide oxygen to breathing divers.
The nature and scope of this course is limited to training Oxygen Providers to provide first aid, using the MTV and/or the BVM for non-breathing injured divers.
This course does not provide complete training for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).